Saturday, October 11

SNOW

Yes I know. It is so dry, we need the moisture, it IS winter, on and on. I do love snow. Hey I live in Montana, we get snow. But I also like the natural progression of summer, beautiful fall, and THEN winter. Last night we got hit with a snow storm. This is great until. . .

. . . it destroys all our trees. I got up this morning to find that our beautiful aspen collapsed onto our deck. The pine tree next to it was killed by a porcupine and this was the only tree left between our yard and our neighbors. So I was determined to shake off some of the snow before I lost my apples trees. I didn't get many apples this year, but I'm hoping to get some next year for apple pie and apple crisp.

As I was shaking off the trees I noticed that the Russian Olive on the other side of our house pulled completely out of the ground, roots and all. So we lost two trees. Donovan thinks he may be able to save our aspen. I guess the trunk did not break, but it is bent pretty good. I think with the shallow root system, the Russian Olive is gone.

Yes it is beautiful, but I hate when this happens so soon and all the leaves are still on the trees. Well at least it doesn't last for long. We are supposed to be back into the 40-50s by mid-next week. Crazy Montana weather.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

That is crazy how the tree tipped over roots in all!! The picts are beautiful of the pine tree leaves, you have such a great eye for photography! Hope you can save the aspen :)